Study in Japan with scholarship！-All the information about scholarships to study in Japan is here!-
Study in Japan with scholarship！ -All the information about scholarships to study in Japan is here!-
How much….. ? We understand that this is one of the biggest concerns for those thinking of studying abroad. Tuition, living expenses, accommodation, etc. etc. Many international students in Japan do part-time jobs while studying to support themselves.
Well, did you know that recently, there are more scholarships to support international students coming to Japan? Scholarships that are unnecessary to pay back are increasing from both the government and private sector !
Let’s take a look into the scholarships in Japan!
- Japan is a scholarship country! Various types of scholarships
- How many get scholarships?
- How can I get a scholarship?
1. Japan is a scholarship country! Various types of scholarships
In Japan, there are 142 scholarships for international students that are not necessary to pay back! （JASSO, 2021）*1 Japanese government, JASSO, Japanese local government, private sectors provide 30,000~250,000 JPY per month.
The Japanese government welcomes more international students for Japan’s globalization spending 22.5 billion JPY every year for international students’ scholarships! (2021)*2
There are four main types of scholarships in Japan.
- Japanese government scholarship
- Scholarship from the Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO)
- Scholarships from private organizations /Private organization scholarships
- Scholarships offered by Japanese language school
2. How many students get scholarships?
Can you believe that about 30% of international students get scholarships?! It’s true! According to the research in 2021, about 30% of international students get scholarships that are not necessary to pay back!
Higher education institutions (University, Vocational College, College)...41.2％ Average amount 62,000JPY/month
Japanese language school…13.1％, Average amount 39,000JPY/month
“I could concentrate on my studies without concern about my daily life” “I felt motivated to study because I could get a scholarship”We hope we could see more international students who study in Japan with scholarships!
3. How can I get scholarships?
Most of the scholarships in Japan need to be applied after coming to Japan, however, there are scholarships you could apply from outside Japan before arriving. The criteria varies a lot, degree, age, interviews, written test, academic grades in Japan, etc. but, usually academic grades in Japan is very important.
Today, we would like to go over the requirements for each of the major types of Japanese scholarships, as well as the approximate amounts.
1. Japanese government scholarship*2
Master's and Doctoral Degree Programs
1.Student who has finished 16 years of schooling in a foreign country.
2.Student who has earned a bachelor's degree by completing a three-year
3. Except for 1 and 2, student who is qualified to enter a master's or doctoral course (first half) of a graduate school in Japan.
Doctoral Program (Second Semester)
1. Foreign student who has received a master's degree or a degree equivalent to a professional degree.
2. A graduate student who has been engaged in research at a university or research institute (including foreign universities and research institutes) for at least two years. (2) Those who have graduated from a university and have spent two years or more conducting research at a university or research institute (including foreign universities and research institutes), and who have been recognized by the graduate school as having academic ability equivalent to a master's degree. Except for 1 and 2, a student who is qualified to enroll in a doctoral program at a Japanese graduate school.
(*2)2022 Japanese Government (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology) Scholarship for International Students
2. Japan Student Services Organization Scholarship (JASSO)*3
1. Those who are enrolled in a Japanese language school in order to enter a Japanese university, graduate school, junior college, or vocational school.
2.Excellent academic record
Scholarship amount: 30,000yen
3.Scholarships from private organizations
Today, we would like to introduce the Kyoritsu Maintenance Scholarship Fund)*4
1. Students from Asia
2. Already studying at a Japanese language school.
3. After graduation, you must plan to continue your education.
Scholarship amount: 60,000 yen(460 US dollars) per month for one year
4.Scholarships offered by Japanese language school (For example, TOKYO CENTRAL JAPANESE LANGUAGE SCHOOL)
Some Japanese language schools are not eligible to apply, so please check ahead of time.
After graduation, the school offers a variety of scholarships.
If you have any questions about the school, please contact the Connect Study ABROAD team.
As you can see from the above requirements, please make sure you study hard when you come to Japan!
Connect Study ABROAD will deliver more information about scholarships in Japan (which is often very complicated….) . Why not give it a try?